bkg

7.05.2009

out of the mouths of babes...

I had the pleasure of spending the 4th of July with a family from church and had a delightful time. They have three of the most adorable girls you've ever seen... and their personalities just punch up the affinity-meter for them!

Our festivities included round after round of being beaten by an 11 year old at card games, a delicious dinner, our own amatuer fireworks show in the driveway, and then heading on to the big fireworks show at Purdue.

I often get caught up in the fact that the older two girls (going into 4th and 6th grades) are wise beyond their years. And this visit proved no differently. We were sitting around the dining room table eating dinner and the girls were regaling us with stories from their camp experience during the week prior. And then the i'm-an-adult-trapped-in-an-11 year old-body bomb dropped. The conversation went a little something like this.... T: "Mindy, why don't they let girls serve communion in our church?" (how's that for dinner time conversation with an 11 year old? :) ) I looked across the table at her mother for a nod of approval to proceed with an answer, wiped the suprised look off my face with my napkin, and said "well, there are some people who believe the bible says that women are not supposed to do that sort of leadership in the church, but there are others in our church who think its ok. So the leadership thinks its less offensive to go with the more conservative view, so that's why we do it that way. " That seemed to be a satisfactory answer for her. Phew! :)

Just when you thought it was safe to assume these girls were back to their adolescent ways, here came surprise number 2! The entire family and I were traveling to the Purdue fireworks in their van. Their mom and I got into a conversation about computer science and were exchanging stories of common acquaintences. There is a girl that we both knew who works at her current place of employment. And she was telling me that the girl isn't working there anymore and took a job somewhere else. We then began speculating about where her new job was and why. I mentioned that when I knew her as an undergrad, she was dating a boy who took a job in Florida, but I assumed they weren't still together and was confirming that it was not a boy situation that caused her to leave. And then from the back seat we hear... A: "Mommy...why are you guys gossiping?" :-) We both immediately tried to justify our actions as not being gossip. And were met with this reply...A:"but whenever you're talking about someone else and their personal life, it's gossip." We admitted defeat, and retreated. :)

Some people might have thought it to be annoying, but I love it! I love the innocence of their questions and statements and willingness to try to apply it to their own thought processes and understanding. It makes me wish I looked at life with a little more discretion. I love these girls and their opportunity to make me think! Here's hoping for more... :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was quite interesting to read - our conversation as seen through the eyes of Mindy. Children keep you on your toes, no doubt about that! Now you know why I need prayers... It's hard to answer their questions and I have questions of my own too!

Yssa