bkg

10.15.2012

Mission Trip!

Hello! So by now most of you know I have finally found a mission trip to celebrate my birthday this year! Woo hoo! The quick overview is that I will be going to Cape Town, South Africa in January 2-14,  2013 to work with Camp Sonshine International. The main purpose of the trip is to do a bible camp for the kids there (ok, actually the main purpose is to share Jesus with them :) ) and then we will be visiting their community and onsite mission organization too.

To find out more about the trip or to stay up to date, you can visit http://tinyurl.com/mindysmission

So How is God working through this? 

1) Y'all have been so faithful to donate to the trip. The original approximated cost was $1850. I always assumed my trip might be a bit more than that because that was for trips leaving from the DC area where the mission group is housed. Turns out the cost of my trip is more like $2325. As of 2 pm today, I now have raised $2328. :) Praise the Lord! He is sooo good! All of that was done in about 2 weeks time also. That's just totally amazing and overwhelming! 

2) I'm learning about my own generosity and giving. I always would have said I was very giving- but I've been so overwhelmed by who has given and how much they have given and it has really challenged me to think about my own levels of giving and how the Lord would have me work through that. 

3) The Lord is speaking loud- some of you know that I had a few other options of mission trips that I declined before signing on to this one.  I feel the Lord is speaking to me that this was the one worth waiting for and that He has something big planned for this trip.  That was confirmed by how quickly I've met my fundraising goals too! You people rock!  I am just praying I rise to the challenge :) 

4) I am recognizing that you all are honoring the work I can do in the Lord's name by supporting this trip. I hope I do justice to sharing your love to these kids too and that I'm not just there because I care about them, but also because you do too! 

Thank you to all of you who have supported and will continue to support my trip in finances and prayer!  I think I'll post more on this blog as updates come available... .but will also link this to my website... so choose your poison :) 



I thought I'd also post a fundraising update for you that I posted on the website earlier: 

10/15/12- Fundraising Update    
Hi all! just wanted to give a little head's up on where I am in the fundraising cycle.... the short answer is... done!!!! I found out last week that they wanted to book my flight because airfare prices were lower than what they had seen for a while. After long debates and price comparisons, my flight to South Africa is booked!  The total cost of my flight ended up being $1975.40. A bit high, but lower than what it had been showing. So the total due for my trip was $1975 + $100 (camp supplies) +$250 (housing and food in Cape Town) = Grand total of $2325! 

As of right now- 2:03 pm on 10/15/12, I have received $2328. PRAISE THE LORD!  He is soooo good! 

So, what if you still want to donate???? Here are your options: 
 A.  Go ahead! it's the Lord's money and if He has encouraged you to give, please give! 

 B.  You can donate on the Razoo site still. If you donate there, the overage can be used for the following things: we can purchase additional supplies needed for our camp or for the mission site we will be working with in Cape Town. Or there are additional costs that I may incur for this trip and the $2325 just covers the basics of getting there and eating while there- so I may be able to be reimbursed for items such as airport parking or immunizations, etc. 

 C.  I'm a little uncomfortable giving this as an option, but I have had enough people ask if it is an option, so I'll offer it to you- you can just donate to me for personal expenses for the trip. So things like souvenirs, thank you cards to write all you nice people, or as one friend put it, you might just want a cinnabon in the airport and we want to make sure you can do that.  If you choose that option, I am not a 503C organization, so for tax purposes, it just counts as a gift and I do not think you get to write it off in your charitable donations though. :) (and checks made to me, not CSI. )

Thank you to all of you who have made this possible and to all of you who will continue to give!

No comments: