bkg

12.09.2012

A Change is Gonna Come...

Yes.. its been a while since I posted. It's been a whirlwind of time and events since my last post, but I'll try to update you on everything.

Change. I don't like change. But yet, I like freshness, newness, renewal, etc. So it should not still surprise me, but I decided to make a change this year.  As of last Monday, I have started a new job. Yes, it's still at Purdue.  And some would say I've moved to the dark side- Engineering. :)  My new position is working as the High School Program Coordinator for a group called EPICS- Engineering Projects in Community Service.  It is a hard move, but a good move. I love the Community Service element of this. School groups work with a non-profit community partner to engineer something that meets a need they have. I have LOTS of ideas of how this could best be done and lots of ideas of needs that could be met. I have a really soft spot in my heart for hospital schools in children's hospitals and just keep praying the Lord will lead some group to a project that can combine both of these passions. ( And let me take a special interest in their project :) )

Starting a new job is stressful. Its nice to know that the people I came to know and love in CS are still just 1000 steps away (yes I measured it :) )  but there's also a need to take a no looking back mentality.  And it's hard.  Leaving a good thing for another good thing.... seems somehow counter-intuitive.   Once again, the Lord has been gracious to me in this though. I will be transitioning from one job to the other throughout December.  I wanted to follow through on commitments I already had for the CS job, and EPICS has been good to let me do that. And then... I go to South Africa. :)

So speaking of South Africa... y'all would probably like a mission trip update. :)  Its just a few weeks away and I cannot believe it! Its getting really real.  I've collected A LOT of school supplies (45 lbs to be exact :) ) that I had intended to ship ahead of time. However, the cost to ship is was going to be about 3x's the amount I had budgeted for it. So... looks like I'm going to check an extra 45lb bag at the airport. :)  Paying the extra bag fee is A LOT cheaper than shipping, and I'll use a collapsable duffle that I can pack and not have to pay for an extra bag on the return trip... so things should be great! I've been collecting things here and there that I will need for the trip (turns out you can get sunscreen pretty cheap this time of year :) ) and am about an hour of free time away from starting to pack. :)

Today we found out the names and ages of the kids we will have as well as the size of our group and our counselor partners. I've been assigned to a group of 7 7-8 year old boys. I've already started working on  nicknames, secret handshake, and brushing up on south african sports stars. :)  My co-counselor is a returning counselor and apparently his name is Doc Holliday. I reallllly  hope he appreciated Tombstone references. I just want to bust out 'I'll be your Huckleberry' just once. :)

I finally have a bit of a grasp on what we will do.. here's the tentative schedule..


Team
Schedule/Program:
3
Jan ‐ Most
 everyone
 arrives
4
Jan ‐ Tentatively
 community 
day‐‐visiting 
the
 kids
5
Jan ‐ Tentatively
 tourist 
Day,
Drive
 around
 the
 peninsula
‐ see
 beautiful

views,
stop
 at 
penguins,
lunch 
out
(own
 expense).
6
Jan ‐ Church,
Lunch 
together
 as
 a 
team,
Training
 Day 
at
 South 
Point offices
7
Jan ‐ Training
Day,
Visit
 community
8‐11
Jan ‐ CAMP!
Return
11
Jan 
for 
team
 debriefing
Dinner
 out 
as 
a
 staff
12
Jan ‐ Free 
day 
(bday 
cards/photo
cards), Possible
 shopping
 trip
13
Jan ‐ Church,
Departure

I keep praying the Lord does mighty things through us. He is good and this is His trip to design.

Now... if you want something else to read.. and want to get immediate chills upon hearing how the Lord weaves things together we can never even have imagined.. I highly recommend you visit this blog: http://magnews1.wordpress.com/ .  You won't be disappointed. :)

Over and out for now...

No comments: