bkg

1.04.2008

Happy 2008! The Update!

Happy New Year!!!! I have so many things to update my faithful readers about! I'm so sorry I've been out of action for a while... but i'll do my best to update everyone!

~Christmas~
OK- so many of you know, I did not have a traditional Christmas this year. Well, unless your traditions include spending the week at the hospital. :) My parents took turns having a lovely stay at Porter Memorial Hospital. My mom was there from Sat. the 22nd to Christmas day. Not to be outdone, my dad decided he would enjoy a holiday there too and was there from the 26th through the 30th. I suggested to them that if they really wanted to get away for the holidays, we could have gone on a vacation, not to the hospital. :) They are both doing ok now, but it made for an interesting week. NO worries though- if you are afraid that we did not get to enjoy our yearly tradition of having dinner on Christmas day at the truck stop because of the family illnesses, you'll be glad to know we were home long enough to partake in our yearly tradition! Seeing as how my Christmas was 'different' this year, I tried to take account of what Christmas is really about and here is what I learned...

1) Christmas is about spreading cheer wherever you are, no matter the circumstances...

2) Christmas is about your mom inviting someone to dinner when she's just barely been out of the hospital for 2 hours...

3) Christmas is about your dad offering to provide transportation to and from the doctor for a friend who has recently had a broken hip due to a fall on the ice...

4) Christmas is about discovering new stories from your 89 year old great uncle (he's been missing a thumb since he was 2 years old, and I, at 35 ,just now noticed it! :) ) ...
5) Christmas is about changing plans with friends to be there for family...

6) Christmas is about your friends knowing what you need, even when you don't know you need it...

so... I made the most of my holidays... it actually was kind of fun befriending the nurses and the boy working in the hospital cafeteria and looking for the transport lady in red. Life is all what you make of it! So, yes, I guess I did have a good Christmas.
~Warm Fuzzies~
Here's a gratuitious cross blogging mention- it gives me warm fuzzies to know something I did was so well appreciated! And I painted that platter!!! :)

~Scary Places~

Ok- you're all gonna think I'm paranoid, but my house is starting to scare me. I woke up the other night because I would have sworn there was someone in my house. I got up to check it out, but nope... no one there. Then, another night, I swore I heard people outside my window- once again while I was sleeping and it freaked me out. Tonight, I keep hearing thumps and bumps... and I have decided to dismiss it all as the wind. But, the scariest thing of all is that when I was driving home tonight, I noticed there were car tracks a mere 10 feet from the edge of my house in my yard from where some dumb college kid took the corner too fast and plowed down the street signs and slide on the snow and ice into my yard. The scariest thing of all- I didn't hear a thing. :-)


~Vacation Creations~

Ok...so I took this entire week off too- so what have I been doing? Sewing. I got a new sewing machine for Christmas. I love to sew... I just don't do it very often. I set out to make some winter skirts, but instead have ended up making a spring skirt, quilted leather coasters, and a suit jacket. Theres a skirt to match the jacket and a quilt yet to come. But here are some pics of my creations thus far....

Here's the skirt that I made- did I ever mention that I LOVE ribbon? The pattern didn't call for the embellishments, so i made some changes... and the 2nd one is a close up of the material! I love it!



































And then these are the leather coasters- my new sewing machine does some automatic design stitches- so I thought that would be a pretty cool way to test those out as a border on these... they are each made from 5 pieces of material and then quilted together- they turned out pretty cool I thought!







And finally, here's the suit jacket I made... not sure you can fully see the fabric...but its a nice khaki, blue-green, black combo- do note that it's fully lined and all the darts it has :) That was about the end of me. :)




So, that's what i've been up to! Hope you all had a great holiday! And have an even better 2008!

No comments: