Or both? Today I went to Riley Children's Hospital in Indy. It's the largest Children's Hospital in the state and they typically get the worst of the worst cases there.
So why was I there. The answer really is something along the line of fate..or a higher purpose... or curiosity... I don't really know. :-) But it came about because of my job interview for the School Reentry coordinator in Houston. I think you all remember the odd ding letter- we like you, but we can't hire you, but lets put you in touch with other people.
So I got in touch with other people. I basically just wanted to go shadow their program and see a bit about how they do things there compared to what i saw in Houston. So today was the day. I think ther'es something so different about being in a hospital when you have to be there vs. being there because you want to be there.
So here I am surrounded by kids with cancer and CF and heart problems, and burn victims that lost their legs because their parents didnt report the burn until 3 weeks after it happened and now not only are they in the hospital, but both parents are in jail. And once again feel that sense of hope... I don't get it. In a place where it should be despair... there's such a send of hope- and I want to be a part of it.
But the good news is- I offered up my outreach services and I think we can get something going there. I am so excited about taht and hope that some of my college students will want to come along on that trip!
I'm working on processing my thoughts as to why I am so drawn to this sort of scenario- but I don't have the words for it just yet. All I know is that I consider it such a blessing to have that opportunity and definitely want to continue to find those sort of opportunities!

1 comment:
Mindy- I'd love to learn more about this amazing opportunity you have come across!
Post a Comment