bkg

5.06.2009

hostess with the mostess

Last night our church hosted the Rochester College A Capella choir. Basically what this meant was that these colleges kids travel around on a concert tour and then need places to stay for the overnight visits. So people in our church were asked to host a couple students if they were able to do such. So I love to meet new people and never mind opening up the Hartbreak Hotel for the evening.. so I got to host 2 girls from the choir last night.

The directions for hosting them were simple- 1) show up at the concert, 2) take them to your house, 3) feed them breakfast, 4) pack a sack lunch for them, and 5) return them to the church the next day so they can continue on their way.

So I stocked up on sack lunch items, made sure I had a variety of breakfast options, cleaned the guest quarters and freshened up the linens.

But last night as I was leaving work, it occurred to me, I didn't know what I was supposed to do with them after the concert until bedtime. And I panicked. Seriously... I'm a boring person. The last thing two college kids want to do is sit around with me flipping channels between american idol, biggest loser, and dancing with the stars. Arrghhh! What's a girl to do?

The concert was over by 8:30 ish, and we were assembling groups around 8:45. I knew I wouldn't really go to bed until at least 11, and so that would be at least 2 hours with them. Hmmm... so I got the girls loaded up in my car and thought I'd turn the control over to them. And I asked... "So what should we do now? What do you normally do with your host families?" Their reply was that they usually just go back and sit at peoples houses and talk. And they seemed less than enthusiastic about it. The pressure is mounting... so I do what I know best and offer "Well, how would you like a tour of the Purdue University campus?" Yay- we all agree that would be fun and nice to see- so we head to campus for the driving tour. But when finishing the driving tour (its kind of hard to see much of purdue at night...) it was not even yet 9:30. *Sigh* Now what? I could get them home, pack a lunch, and feign tired at 10 pm. But then, I decide to be vulnerable and go for broke.

"What do y'all think about stopping at applebee's for dessert? there's a catch a fun story to it... and its my hobby.." So I go ahead and tell them the tales of applebee's matt and promise they will get good service and enjoy their time! And they were all in! And they loved it! I should have figured... two 19 year olds, cute boy, funny boy, and giggly girls.. but well worth it! Our server never failed to impress- and we all got a good laugh at him spilling our desserts on the table and me...

and now the legend of applebees matt will carry forth to michigan. :) All in a day's work.

No comments: