bkg

10.20.2007

more from the airport

ok.. so I'm getting ready to head home from Orlando today. woo hoo! I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, but I scheduled a flight for 8:25 am. I also arranged a shuttle service to take me to and from the airport and hotel. well, the shuttle service says that you must allow 3 hours before your flight to catch the shuttle and get to the airport on time. So, my shuttle was at the hotel at 5:15 this morning. yikes! I don't do mornings. But, so in order to get packed and checked out of the hotel and get the shuttle, my alarm went off at 4:30 am. uggh. well, anyway, upon arrival at the Orlando airport, I was kind of glad I was here 2.5 hours early. The security line was crazy!!!!! I had no idea so many people could be traveling so early on a Saturday morning!!! I will never, ever complain about the security at the Indianapolis airport. This was absolutely amazing. And of course, you have travelers that don't plan ahead and need to catch a flight in 30 minutes from when they get in the security line- so many pleasant people at this time in the morning. :)

Speaking of pleasant people....I think there is about to be a coup at gate 7. :) Apparently 2 people missed the flight that left that gate a good 30 minutes ago. And they are not happy!!!! Throw that on top of some other guy who is trying to get to San Juan, and is making the agent talk to his daughter on his cell phone to say he's not going to get there. The agent is angry and done dealing with all of them and has to get to her next flight to check people in. I love people watching!

OOOH... I just remembered, I haven't blogged since the last airport blogging. And I have a fun security story! So as we went to board the flight to Cleveland- they decided they would do 'random' security checks at the gate! So they start boarding the flight and there is this family ready to get on- mom, dad, young son- and they pull the mom for a 'random' security check. They encourage the dad and son to go ahead and board the plane- but they refuse and ask why they pulled her. The lady doing to check says ' I had to pick her because she's the first female in line.' WHAT???!!!! Are you serious???? I'm pretty sure there are some women's lib advocates that would want to jump right on that one. :) But I also know I'm going to try hard to never be the first female in line boarding a plane. :)

I did manage to score the exit row seats again on this flight! woo hoo!!! I love checking in the night before a flight. Not sure it works on all flights and all airlines, but go Continental!

As far as other observations go, I am realizing how "international" the Indianapolis International Airport is NOT. :) There were so many international flyers in the security line and it's not uncommon to hear something other than English being spoken all around me.

The other things is that I don't know that I had thought about the demographics of the people who would actually be on a flight to Orlando, so its amazing that I was somewhat surprised when my flight coming here was full of families with kids, lots of elderly people in wheelchairs, and the rest were triathletes coming for a competition. Very out of my element. :) I'll be curious to see who goes to Cleveland on the return flight. :) Rock n' Rollers perhaps? :) Baseball fans?

ok..well, there's still 45 minutes before the flight starts to board. But I'm tired of blogging! Thank you Orlando for having free wi-fi- perhaps Indianapolis can take a pointer from you. Maybe it's time for a quick nap before the flight? A nap at 7:05 am just doesn't seem right though! :) There's a 2 hour layover in Cleveland...so maybe there will be more blogging from there!

No comments: