OK- so I got home from Orlando this weekend only to realize that my internet wasn't working at home. GRRR. I decided to call Tech Support and see if they could help me. This has happened before- basically I call, they think you're an idiot and start with questions like "is your modem plugged in? " I say 'yes', they say 'ok' and we go from there. Actually, it's happened about 3 times in the past month. They send some signal and reset my modem and it's good to go! I tend to be a problem solver and try to do what I know to do before calling them, but I reset my modem, I reset the router, checked all the plugs on my end all to no avail. So it was time to call. The result of the call was the lady saying, your internet isn't working (ok- i knew that), so we will have to send someone out to your house to look at it. Are you home all day tomorrow? Meaning Monday. Um, no, I work. Well, do you know when you're available- no, my calendar is online and I can't get to it because my internet doesnt work!!!! Just thought I'd try to get the point across to her since they kept me on the line for 30 minutes before talking to her and her telling me that my internet didn't work. So I say that I can be available after 5 pm, but they should call when they are on their way, and they will have to call my cell #, not the one you have on file because I'm using VOIP and it's connected to my non-working internet.
So....I head home from work around 4:45 yesterday- the lady said they would usually call when they are about 30 minutes out and on their way. So I figured even if they called while I was on my way home, I'd be there in more than enough time to meet them, etc. I get home about 4:55, kick off my shoes, visit the little girls room, and while taking care of business in the little girls room, the doorbell rings. It's not even 5 pm yet. So I rush and finish up, and run to the door, and there's the cable guy standing there. So I say, ' I thought they said you would call when you were coming. " He said, 'ok.' Huh? I apologize, say i'm just getting home from work, you're lucky to have caught me because I decided to leave early instead of waiting for the call, etc. He says where's you're modem? And you know...that would have been a fine question if he had actually really looked at my modem. But he went in there, saw that it was blinking, unplugged the power from it, plugged it back in, and it was still blinking. Never once stopping to ask me anything about it, what i had tried, etc. I found that kind of odd.
so, he gets out his signal tester, and tests it from where it comes in from the wall- good signal. Tests it from where it comes out of the coax cable- good signal. And so he proceeds to decide he will change all the coax cable. What? so not only does he change the coax cable coming out of the wall there- he goes to the main cable line in my garage and changes out hardware and coax cable there, he goes out to the neighborhood line and changes some cables there too. And he comes back in and its still not working. There's my modem, sitting there blinking like a little firefly in the night. And it's at THAT point, when he think's it might be my modem that's the problem.
And my thought was, why didn't we check that sooner- well, that's because he didn't have any modems on his truck. SO- he has to go meet another guy, get one from him, and come back. And what do you know...I needed a new modem.
I know I tend to be a logical person- and a problem solver, and so it's hard for me to understand why people don't think the way I do. There were plenty of context clues to suggest it was the modem- one, there was a huge storm that blew through while I was gone. I'm sure there could have been a power surge that zapped the modem. Additionally, I'd start from the end and work my way backwards- the internet doesn't work- so is everything that's connected working correctly? I just don't get why he would spend time replacing all the cables if that was not necessary and then 45 minutes later decide that maybe it was the modem. Crazy. It must be hard to get good help these days.
So anyway, he get's everything fixed up and now i'm back online at home. i looked at the call tag he left behind for me and it sure did say call before coming, and had my cell number. Ok.

2 comments:
If you have Insight then I have tons of stories to share! They asked if they could come out on Sunday from 8-5 one weekend. They were going to call ahead...at 445 no call so I called. The lady I talked to said they would come by 7 with a call ahead. Still no call ahead by 645 and I called. They said okay we'll they will come out tomorrow between 8-5. Tomorrow would have been a Monday when we work. I said no we cannot do that after we wasted all day waiting for them. Someone came to our house at 9pm on Sunday and worked on the internet inside and outside the house. A few days later it was doing the same thing. We would be logged on and it would kick us off the internet every time! I called back and they said someone would be their in a week and a half whcih was a Friday first thing in the morning. Kyle took a half day off of work and by 10am they still hadnt showed up. I was so mad that he took off a half day and they werent showing up. Finally they came and fixed it. It has bene working fine since but it always seems like cable companies are good at not showing up or not calling when they are suppose to!
I didnt spell check that or proof read it so it's kinda hard to read!
Post a Comment