bkg

4.17.2008

Adventures in Babysitting

OK- let me start with a disclaimer- this blog has nothing to do with babysitting :) But it does have something to do with the great 80's movie starring Elisabeth Shue!


So this morning I was on my way to Indianapolis with one of my students to do a lego workshop at a school all day! Well... we were traveling along and had just passed the Frankfort exit (about 27 minutes from Lafayette) when all of a sudden there was a 'pop' and many of the dashboard lights came on. In addition to this, I tried to accelerate, and no go. Literally. So... we coasted to the edge of the road, just past the overpass and I hoped and prayed I signed up for the extended warranty on my car. Well... sure enough, I did. So we called Roadside assistance and after a lengthy talk with the woman there, a tow truck was on it's way. Janine went ahead and called her fiance to see if he would come on down too- mostly because we had $4000 worth of lego equiment in the back of my car that I wasn't real keen on having towed and leaving at the Ford Dealer for who knows how long. So Janine headed back to campus and dumped off the legos and I began my adventure in babysitting.


I guess I never really thought about the kind of people they hire to drive tow trucks. But this guy (Bob) was definitely the cross between the adventures in babysitting experience and Mater from Cars. He told me that Batman and Robin came to his school one time when he was in elementary school. I wouldn't normally say I was happy to be at the auto shop, but in this case, by the time I got there, I was so happy!


So... I asked my friendly service rep Jonathan if he had to wage a guess as to what was going on with my car, what would he say it was. I'm thinking transmission, he says alternator. Hmmmm... Viable I guess, because I still had power, but my engine wouldnt' turn over at all- but I still had a bad feeling...

So I get a rental car and I'm on my way for the day. Jonathan says he will call later when they have a chance to look at it and see what's going on. So... 5 pm he calls. And starts throwing some TLA's at me. Says it's not my alternator afterall, its my PCM. Which he says is the Power Control Module and basically what that means is that my car is brain dead. (on a side note- do not ever do a google images search for 'brain dead'.)
So... the part can't come in until Tuesday...I've been doing some research and it seems that theres big problem with it, not just with my car...so it should all be covered under my warranty. And for now... I get to drive a very modest Ford Fusion. Which I do not recommend if you are looking to purchase.
As you all know, I don't do anything the easy way... I have a feeling that before this is over, it will be much more blog worthy... so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing the continuing saga....although I hope for your sake it is all resolved quickly (& cheaply!).