Leaving on a Jet Plane
So the NEW Indianapolis airport had been open less than a week when I left on Tuesday, so I had no idea what to expect. But let me say it was lovely! It's like a real airport! People movers and all. The only downfall... poor choice of locks on the bathroom stall doors-they randomly pop open when someone opens a door next door or bumps a stall wall... locks easily dislodge and doors fly open! Fun times. My flight to Houston was uneventful. Very empty and had a WHOLE row to myself! We even got in 30 minutes early!
The Rental Car
So I had rented a car to get myself around town while in Houston. And being cheap, I went with a compact car at Alamo. My roomie had reminded me that very seldom do they actually have compact cars and typically you'll end up with a free upgrade, so why not give it a try! So I arrive at the alamo counter and check in. The gentleman tells me to head out to the rental car parking garage and find the compact section, pick a car, and drive it to the exit gate. So, I wander to the compact section and am amazed at what I see- lots of older models, and some with pretty significant damage to them. As I wander around them, I see that they have personal items in them and begin to think I'm on hidden camera. I look for any of them that have keys... and none do. So I'm stuck. There's no Alamo representative anywhere to be found. So I see a frantic National representative helping people and decide to get in his line. There are many irate and confused people such as myself. The conversations typically go "I have a (fill in the blank) reserved. I don't see any, what do I do? " The gentleman says, "I have a minivan, would you like a minivan? " "um, no, I reserved a ___________. I want that." "Well, I have a minivan or a white box van, would you like those? " "Um, no....what about that car over there? " (typically pointing to the white volvo on the lot) " I have a minivan. ok- wait a minute and let me see what I can do." And then they go find a car and pull it up and say "ok- you want this?" "fine." and then you drive off. So... I played this game a few times- and kept telling him I wasn't keen on driving a minivan around Houston because I'm not from here- I wanted a compact car.(yes I actually said that and it eventually turned into "car" vs. "compact") So after playing this game for at least 30 minutes, he says "i have a Tahoe, do you want the Tahoe? " "Sure, fine." And I go load up my stuff in the Tahoe. My compact car has turned into a Tahoe. So I get loaded up in it, get my GPS hooked up, and call my destination to tell them I'm on my way. I look forward and see the guy standing in front of my car. He stops the guy in the Volvo next to me and asks him if he wants to switch. I gave him miserable puppy dog eyes and was shaking my head yes. The guy was trying to tell him that I was scared to drive the Tahoe and wondered if he wanted to switch. He said no(He got the Volvo! Envy! ) . But then the helper guy came driving up in a Rav 4 and said I could have it! Glory! 45 minutes later, I actually had something comfortable to drive around Houston! Oddly enough, their slogan is "Drive Happy." Ironic. I wasn't driving happy.
The Agenda
Day 1, Stop 1: Casa del Ninos- The best surprise of the trip was when I got an email on Monday that Thomas was actually going to be in town for a few hours while I was there! Originally he was supposed to be in Korea still- but turns out he got a reprive and was home for a week! Woo hoo! So my first stop was to the boys house to visit with Tom. Got to see John and Amy too! John tried to convince me that I needed to watch the latest Rambo movie- but I passed. :) It was nice to catch up with them for a bit! I miss them!
Day 1, Stop 2: L&L Chalet- my housing arrangments for the week! As always, luxury accomodations with friends!
Day 2, Stop 1: Backstreet Cafe- Well, Tom agreed to meet us for lunch, but needed to meet us early so he could make it back to work for an afternoon meeting. Still... nice to see him AGAIN- and he treated! So that was even better!
Day2, Stop 2: The Art Car Museum. As seen in the pictures- unfortunately closed. :(
Day 2, Stop 3: Potty Break at a local coffee shop. The coffee shop could use some paving in their parking lot. Needless to say, I had coffee spilled on me TWICE in one week- what are the chances of that happening for a non-coffee drinker? :)
Day 2, Stop 4: The Beer Can House- adorned with beer cans all over the place. See for yourself. :)
Day2, Stop 5: Shopping. My two new favorite stores: Anthropologie and Francesca's. Love them!
Day2, Stop 7: back at the luxury chalet to watch Wall-E. :)
Day 3, Stop 1: The Breakfast Klub for Waffle and Wings. Odd combo, yes. Delicious, yes. Totally different than Purdue's Breakfast Club- except the long lines and fishbowl windows. :)
Day3: Stop 2: MD Anderson Cancer Center. So I realized that I was starting to get nervous for the interview- but then I reassessed and it wasn't the interview making me nervous- it was having to drive in Houston. :) Once I realized that, I was good to go. The interview went well. I will find out something sometime after thanksgiving. :)
Day 3, Stop 3: Lupe Tortillas. YUM! AND... we ran into some others from church there, so I got to see other people I knew too! That was a nice surprise too!
And then that led us to today. Started off the day at the Buffalo Grille for breakfast (best bacon ever!) and then it was time to head back to Indiana. The high in Houston today was 58 degrees. I kid you not, there were people at the airport with fur coats on. :) I soooo wanted to break out my blackberry and take pics... but I didn't.
The Return Flight
So... it turns out that this flight was just the opposite of my outgoing flight. Very full. And very late. :) They got us all loaded on the plane, the pilot came on and said we would be pushing back from the gate on time. And then we waited for 10 minutes. He came back on and told us that we were having a problem with an overhead bin and we weren't able to leave until they fixed it. He said someone would be here soon to tape it up. Ahh... duct tape... the universal fix it. :) So.. when the maintenance guys arrive, they basically end up using twisty ties to hold it shut and 45 minutes later, we are off. :) Yes... twisty ties. We might as well have just gone Macguyvor on them and used some chewed gum and coffee stirrers to hold it shut. All that matters is that we got home in one piece. And a couple twisty ties extra.
So there it is.. good times, good friends, and a great time. Awesome intercation vacaview!





2 comments:
You should talk with Jenn about driving around in a City in some big vehicle after reserving a compact car. She she was in San Fran this summer before moving to Cal, we had reserved her a compact car after she finished her Missions trip for her to drive up to the camp she worked at for several summers to spend a couple of weeks there and we reserved the car with the one that advertises that they pick you up. When she called them to come and pick her up they wouldn't because there was a closer office but when we were reserving it they told us that she could not get a car from that office and drop it off at one up by the camp. So she had to call a cab to get to their office. The cab dropped her off accross a very busy multi-lane street with all of her luggage. They gave her a pick-up truck with an almost empty tank of gas in San Fran where she did not want to have to stop for gas right away. Then when she went to pick up her "compact" car for her return to San Fran airport she was given a full size Dodge pick up truck. She did not care much for driving around in all that city trafic in that big thing either. Reading you story made me think of Jenn and her adventures.
looks like Thomas is getting a few gray hairs...
Post a Comment