bkg

5.17.2010

This one may have gone too far...

So, I think I've mentioned a time or two that I tend to serve a God of comic irony. All that means is that God speaks to different people in different ways... some its through nature, some its through beautiful works of art, some its through other people... for me, it's typically through storytelling songs or through comic irony.. you know.. the ironic things that happen in your life that only give you the choice to laugh at because its such a novel way of God getting your attention that it could hardly be anything other than His doing. Well... or shear craziness. :)

Tonight.. I think God topped Himself.

Some of you know I've been struggling with a decision for the past week. It wasn't a major thing- just something I felt I needed to pray about and seek God's guidance on. I had been asked to take over our "welcomer program" at church, and wanted it to be a calling of sorts. If it were to be a true ministry, I wanted to know that our elders were praying about it and they weren't just looking for some volunteer to man the role... I wanted to make sure I had the latitude to act upon elements of it that are led by God. But even as of this afternoon I was unsettled as to what to do.

I finally resolved that God will use me whereever I let Him... and I was willing to step into this position.. so I might as well step out in faith and turn it over to Him to make sure all the other elements were in place.

So how did I know I made the right decision? Well this evening our committee that had been reviewing our current procedures had a meeting with the elders. The committee leader shared the processes we had been going through and some of the ideas for the future. And then he got to the section where he wanted to announce who would be the person to lead the ministry.

Do you know what he had it titled on the agenda????? New Directions. Yes, New Directions. Glee, New Directions. I bust out laughing... Immediately the first episode of Glee starts going through my head and its as if I'm Will Schuester himself sitting up in bed realizing that its the right thing for me to be doing. Slowly Chuck Brown turns into Kurt, Jack McCoy into Finn, Janet Boston into a doe eyed ginger kid Emma, Bill Bell is a spittin image for Principal Figgins, and Bill Hodges into Sue Sylvester right there in front of my eyes! Only in my world would Glee and God ever cross, right????

But oddly enough... it gave me peace about making the right choice. :)

New Directions... perhaps thats what I should call the welcomer program??? Not quite sure what the elders would think about us calling the greeters Gleeks though.. .I'll havet o think about taht one. :)

1 comment:

Courtney Hodges said...

I think I just pooped my pants laughing...

My father in law is in fact Elmwood's very own Sue Sylvester.