bkg

6.22.2010

where have I been?

hello faithful blog readers (all 2 of you! :) )

Yes, I'm busy. And sometimes I just don't like to write. So deal with it. BUT... I'm back! Woo hoo! So what's been going on... here's the recap- don't miss the best one at the end...

1) Summer Camp
Yes... the annual piece de'resistance (is that even really a word? I don't know) for my work is the summer camp. A few changes this year but all went well. We did a forensics theme - kids loved it, staff loved it, I got way into it. It was a hit! Took the kiddos to see the new Karate Kid movie. It was good.. but I had trouble buying in to little 10 year old Jaden Smith falling in love with a chinese girl. I still prefer the original.

2) Lots of suggestions for Porter Memorial Hospital
My dad has been in the hospital for 30+ days in the last 2 months. He started off his initial visit with some heart problems... and most of his trips back have been heart related, but in the mean time they found some other things and we're waiting until an appt on the 29th to find out some treatment options for that. I would like to make a few suggestions to his hospital though... A) seriously- people want their privacy- do you not have all private rooms yet? crazy! B) VHS is so 80's... can you update the TV's in the rooms to have DVD players. You need something to pass the time. C) Have you ever thought about having activities available for patients? I mean like decks of cards, puzzles, games, etc. Your beige walls are soooooo boring and mind numbing.

3) Old Friends are the Best Friends
Do y'all have those friends that you can go months or even years without seeing, but then when you do, they just warm your heart? Yesterday I was having a day. Just a very self-indulgent, I don't want to talk to anyone kind of day. We did have a girls night scheduled though... so I thought I should at least go to that. Well, I left my house early enough to stop by my salon and pick up some hairspray. They were having an open house and doing some cheap/free treatments and I thought I might have one of those done. Well.. turns out they didn't have any slots left... so there I was with a half an hour to kill before dessert night. So I went to a store to look around to pass the time. Well.. when leaving the store, I was checking email and involved in my blackberry and not paying attention to the people passing by until one called my name. :) And there, by the grace of God, were Dave and Rachel Bozell. That boy can bring a smile to my face no matter what. :)

4) Feet Washin'
I was invited to a 10 year-old's (Audrey) birthday party Sunday night. It was a Spa Party. I actually volunteered to help her momma (Yssa) with the Spa part of the party. :) The original plan was to do pedicures, facials, and make up. I suggested we could do hair, etc. :) Well... we only made it to the pedicures and facials before it was time for some of the girls to leave. But let me tell you a bit about the pedicures.

We had two basins set up, a foot scrub to use, and then a PLETHORA of nail color choices which would make us the envy of any salon around. The procedure was simple... soak your feet for a few, we'd take the foot scrub and do a foot massage with it (and try not to get kicked in the face while doing it- very ticklish girls), and then take them out, dry them, and use any color combination the girls had picked out to make them have the loveliest toes in Lafayette.

(change of tone.. I'm going to get a little spiritual on you now.. )
Have you ever had your feet washed in a Biblical sense or setting? I remember when we were pledges that there was a feet washing ceremony as part of our activiation I think, and that was something really had an impact on me- someone was willing to touch my nasty feet as an element of service and submission to you. And if you've ever seen the movie The Second Chance, there's a lovely foot washing scene in there that will bring me to tears every time. So... back to the party. We are pedicuring right along...and this one little girl says to me 'you don't have to do my right foot.' I think Yssa asked her 'why' before I got it out- and I'm expecting an answer such as 'I'm really ticklish, or its really dirty, or I have a blister'. And she says... 'well.. I have lots of warts on it. So you may not want to.' Yssa quickly jumped in and said 'no that's ok sweetie. We'll do it.' (and by 'we'll', she meant me. :) (i know, get your 'ewws' out. :) ) But in that moment, as my hand is massaging over her rough little foot, it brought me back to my previous experiences. And I thought to myself how we often do the same thing to God. He's there to offer us total cleansing and we often hold back telling him that its ok if he doesn't want to touch us in our areas of sin, and that there's no cleansing to be had. I know.. maybe this is too deep of a thought for a 10 year old's birthday party. But nonetheless a good reminder that we can alway give our struggles and problems over to God because he can and will cleanse us even if we don't think we are worthy.

Back to the party- it was awesome! I did forget what the volume is like when you have 10, 10 and 11 year old girls together though. Not quite sure how I forgot because its about the same as when their parents get together for dessert night. :) But my favorite part of all may have been when I went out to introduce myself to the girls at the party and I said I was Audrey's mom's friend. And she chimed in that I was her friend too. :) I'm ok with being a friend to a 10 year old. :) Happy Birthday Audrey! :)

1 comment:

pednurse said...

Those girls LOVED you guys doing their feet & toes...such pampering! :)
As for the hospital....if there's a pediatric unit, go raid them....they have games. :)