bkg

8.16.2007

You've Got to Be Kidding Me

OK- So I have to admit I struggled with the Title of this blog entry- I couldn't decide if it should be "everyone has a story" or what I went with. I'll get to the subject of the story momentarily, but let me explain why the other one was an option. So, I always purport that you shouldn't overreact in situations because everyone has something going on in their lives that you might not know about. A lot of times we jump to conclusions and get offended or angry when we really don't need to react that way- and usually our reactions will be different when we know the rest of the story. So here's the story....

Once upon a time, a nice, lovely, charming, humble, girl had a dream. :-) She wanted to be a school principal. Things were well on track to taking her there. She finished her master's degree in School Administration with flying colors and was just a few steps away from that dream. All she had to do was secure an internship. :-) So, in January of 2007, she thought that things were progressing. She secured an internship with a local high school, only to have that fall through because of turmoil going on with the staff at that school. So... she waited. And waited. And waited. And waited some more for one of her professors to help her find a suitable option. And then another professor died. So that put things off track a bit... the department was in an upheaval. So she waited, and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited some more. And now it's August of 2007.

So... she went to see her professor today. He had been vacationing in NC on the beach... and trying to finalize those plans for her while in NC. So today, while visiting the professor, she finds out 2 bits of information. 1) she get's the report that the previous school is not interested in accomodating her schedule. But that's ok.. there are lots of other schools. :-) So they will try again. And 2) her professor, McInerney, has prostate cancer. You've got to be kidding me. So he will be having surgery later this semester. So there's the rest of the story. His unavailabilty was not because he was being a pain or just forgotten about her... he's got a few bigger issues on his plate right now. His dad died from prostate cancer... so he's a spry 62 years old, and facing his own mortality right now.

So... wish me luck. Oh wait, I mean the the nice, lovely, charming, humble, girl with a dream. Wish her luck. ;-) We are waiting to hear from a principal at Southwestern MS. And we have a list to go off of from there. :-) I'll keep you posted!

No comments: