bkg

12.03.2007

And then I went to the dentist....

You know, most of my best stories begin with "I went to the dentist today." If you're not familiar with the freaky tooth, you'll want to catch up by reading it's very own blog found at http://freakytoothblog.blogspot.com And here's a continuation of the story....

So I went to see Dr. Mazur today. It was for a routine 6 month check up and cleaning. If you're familiar with my dental history, then most likely you are already scoffing at the word 'routine.' And of course, it was anything but routine. :)

I have still had bone fragments emerging from my gum tissue. We believed it to be bone grafting that wasn't grafting. When the first did the implant, I was losing quite a bit of it, and then it slowed down. It averages a granule every few weeks. So I got in touch with the dentist office a month or so ago to tell him it was still happening and wondering what they wanted to do- Dr. Mazur said he wanted to do an iCat scan of my head which produces a 3-d picture of my skull and it can be manipulated and cross sectioned, etc, but they could do that when I came in for my cleaning.

So today was the day. I went for the cleaning, when the hygienist brought me back to the room, she asked if there were any problems. I wanted Dr. Mazur to see that there was a bone fragment coming out and waiting just for him before she started cleaning. I had a new theory- it wasn't bone grafting, it was actually a bone spur, growing into that opening, but very thin and breaking off when we went to push on it. Seems like a good theory right? Well, let's scan it and see!

Nice try. :) So anyway... After a long cleaning and a long wait ( i was at the dentist for 2 hours), Dr. Mazur and I took a look at the 3-d model. So, Mazur says, he thinks there is a place where the implant isn't implanted into anything. Which is what he has always suspected. He manipulates the model and does multiple cross-sections, etc and I can see where he is concerned. BUT- it's not conclusive.

He says that he has another software program he can send the data to that is just for implant situations. And he would like to send these scans to an expert in the field. He's a pioneer in implant dentistry and using this data and fixing these type of problems. Mazur goes on to tell me about a procedure that this Dr. has piloted where they make 2 small incisions in the soft tissue and implant some bone and make a matrix within that pocket. And so he asks with my permission to send these to the doctor in, where else, but Texas.

So I say, oh, where is he located in Texas? Houston. Well Dr Mazur, you're not really going to believe this, but I have friends in Texas that I might try to go visit soon. He get's all excited, suggests that I need to go visit those friends and try to see Dr. James Clarke while there for a consultation. :)

Irony. My life is all about irony. ;-) You know, I should just expect stuff like this to happen now when going to the dentist, but somehow I don't. I always just think that I'm going to have a normal appointment. And it still catches me off guard when I go for a 30 minute appt and it takes 4 times that long!

Now about the guy in Houston. I checked out his website. And I don't know how I feel about him. I'm sure he's a good guy, but his website is very promotional and full of accomplishments. I've never been big on bragging about how good you are if you're really that good. But then I look at it from a business standpoint in a large city, and it makes it a bit more acceptible. I'm just not sure about the need for aromatherapy during my dental experience. (although, I do remember walking in mazurs office today and thinking....yumm..cinnamon...i'm going for cinnamon flavored cleaner today because of the smells. so who knows. )

So.... maybe it's time for an adventure! Time to hoof it on down to Houston and check out the dental industry there. :) So.. who knows... but I'm typing this as I am watching Heroes tonight... and am finding the timing a bit ironic too... I feel like I too am entering a new chapter of the book, but on heroes, the next volume is labeled "Villians." Let's hope the similarities end there!

No comments: