bkg

9.14.2007

Internship Day 2: A Project? Already?

So I guess don't know what I really expected to be doing on day 2 of the internship- maybe visit some teacher classrooms- pinpoint some goals- get more of the lay of the land I guess- but whatever it was that I was expecting, it wasn't to have a project already!!! So imagine my surprise when I arrived and the principal announced that she had a project for me to work on today! And then the wheels start turning-what could it be? Visit classrooms? :-) Review the school improvement plan? Learn how to log in to their computer system. Nope. Those were all wishful thinking.

My project: let's call him Teddy. (names have been changed to protect the kid whom I hope not to screw up for the rest of his life. ) Teddy is organizationally challenged. :-) I, am not. He's a student. A self-proclaimed principal's pet even. Teddie has been a frequent visitor in detention for the first few weeks of class. He's bright, but has some trouble getting his work turned in to the teachers on time. So, Mindy, Teddy, Teddy, Mindy. Your project- help him. Ack.... helping kids? Is that what this job is about? :-) Just kidding! So, Teddy and I had a nice chat. Well, it was mostly him chatting. :-) He was making it a lot easier to collect information about him than I thought it would be. :-) So, we ended with a goal of actually WRITING DOWN his assignments and I will check in on him on Monday. YAY! There's a few ironies of the story though- 1) he has grandparents that live 58 miles north of here off of exit 230. Exit 230? You don't say? Demotte, Roselawn? Demotte. Humph. My parents live in Demotte. 2) He was wearing a Texas t-shirt. A lot of my friends moved to Texas. Teddy might move to Texas too. :-) There will be no escape from him. Wish me luck. :-)

All in all, a pretty good day though! I did get a copy of the school improvement plan to review. And got to decorate my office! :-) And I got asked to chaperone a dance! Woo hoo! There's nothing much more entertaining than middle school kids courting each other when the slow dances come around! And, I may have to help the principal coach the speech team! They don't have a coach right now, but they have kids interested- so I guess those responsibilities fall to the administration too! I was a sapphire level National Forensics League member in high school- nowhere a 3 point outline won't get you. :-) Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, and then tell 'em what you told 'em. That should get us somewhere. :-)

I go back for more on Monday! I'm still scared to death- but fear is a good motivator! So for now, I am sticking with that theme. :-)

No comments: