bkg

2.05.2008

Tales from the Intern...

What do you get when you cross an agressive, angry 12 year old boy with an annoying, attention-seeking 12 year old boy?
+







A TV sitcom about a coming of age story riddled with teenage angst and the hijinx that ensue...

Ahh... I love middle school boys! Today, my principal told me she needed me to meet with "Teddie" and another boy (let's call him "Daniel") because there has been some trouble between them and they are picking on each other. So, time for a little intervention for the both of them.

So I call them to my office... tell them that I hear there's a little problem and we want to come up with a solution to it. Each boy was given uninterrupted time to tell of what's been going on... Daniel says he and his friends make fun of Teddie because Teddie annoys them by making sounds. Teddie says he make sounds to annoy them because they make fun of his size. So what does Teddie proceed to do.... demonstrate all the sounds he makes to annoy Daniel! :) All the while, you just see the steam starting to rise out of Daniel and he's ready to pop him in the mouth if he doesnt stop. It was actually quite humorous! My favorite part of the whole thing was when I thought puberty was going to be explained to me by two 12 year old boys though.
Teddie says that he will probably have to stop making noises anyway because his voice is becoming different. And proceeds to tell us that things are happening that happen to 11-13 year old boys. And continues to demonstrate that his voice used to be really high, like a girl, but now it's different and it hurts his throat to make those noises anyway... And just when I think Daniel is going to pipe up and tell the kid to shut up, he says, 'yeah, my voice used to be higher too. And when I used to talk sometimes it would be high and then other times it would be really low. ' WHERE IN THE WORLD AM I? :)
So what did we accomplish? Well, the boys each had to come up with something they'd like the other person to do, and something they will do. (ie Daniel wants Teddie to stop making noises, but DAniel in turn has to tell his friends to quit making fun of Teddie. Teddie is supposed to quit making noises and stay away from Daniel and his group of friends and they will not make fun of his size.) But the biggest accomplishment of them all... I actually managed to keep a straight face during the whole thing. It wasn't easy....but I did it! I wish you could have all been there... middle schoolers are special. Definitely a different breed.






No comments: