So I've been working on keeping a positive attitude, but there's no other way to express the fact that I hate February. It started with 8 inches of snow, moved on to Puxatawny Phil telling me there's more if it on it's way for the next 6 weeks- and that's all within the first 2 days. :) But, in trying to fight this feeling, I have been very cognizant of all that is going on around me and here are some things I have discovered:
1) I like people. I have found myself striking up conversations about unlikely things with unlikely people (ie- the guy at the post office, talking about February. :) ) I found myself smiling at poeple in the grocery store, carrying on conversations with waiters, and all just because I like people.
2) People like me. :-) Trust me, there are some days when I'm not so sure... but God had really shown me that lately.
3) I have grown professionally. I was having a meeting with my assistant department head on Friday, and almost had this surreal moment where I realized I am not who I was when they hired me. I am much more confident and self-assured, and pretty fearless. And it made me wonder if they have ever thought they made a mistake hiring me at the beginning of my stay at Purdue- because of how much I realized I didn't really know. :-)
4) Not only do I like people, I like my assistant department head. He's a good guy. I think for a while I had trouble seeing him through the departmental edicts and heirarchy- (and micromanagement...) but in that same surreal moment in #3- I finally felt like I had a relationship with him, instead of being a robot.
5) Why I don't like February. Too many nonsense holidays, too much crazy weather, too much time for frustration to build up, too much emphasis on diamond commercials, no enough light at the end of the education tunnel, too much dental work, too crazy of a month with only 28 or 29 days, its just a messed up month.
6) within the next week, my test scores will be mailed to me. (if I want to get them sooner, I can call on Friday and pay $30 for them. :) )
7) if all goes well, with in the month of March, I will get to see three of my closest friends who have since moved on to fairer regions- but yet it seems so far away!
8) And so that should take me through February... wish me luck... and safe travels.... and happy spirits...and Godspeed to March! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment