bkg

9.16.2008

I'm on Sabbatical

It's official... I'm on sabbatical. No, not from work. (Unfortunately, they don't let staff take those here. ) But I'm on sabbatical from the CSC.

What's the CSC? Click here to find out... Anyway... why am I taking a sabbatical and what does it mean?

Welll...the simple answer is that I need a time to refresh. (I could get all exegetical on you and break down the word 'sabbatical' but I won't. :) ) You see, I've been veryyyyy involved with the CSC for the past 5 years. I have served in a mentor type role, especially for the young women in the group. Led bible studies, organized activities, filled in gaps where the campus minister needed help...that sort of thing. In addition to that... I spent most of the past 1.5 years on two different search committees and that consumed a lot of extra time and energy.

So... now that we have two pretty good fellas in place, and the CSC is in good hands... it's time for me to be a little selfish and work on my own growth!

And no, I'm not burnt out...if that were the case, then I was doing everything the wrong way all along and not relying on the right place for my strength. But I also want to make sure that I don't get to that point... fill myself up before I can fill up others (airplane crash landing rules, ya know? )

So...what am I going to do on my sabbatical? I don't know yet... I have a stack of books I want to read. (oh my, did I just say that? I'm not a reader. :) ) And see what I can gain from them. I have been having a bible study with two really good friends... and want to make sure I'm prepared for that each week... and I think I want to make some friends my own age. Sounds kind of odd... but I've been hanging out with 19 and 20 year olds the past year, and not that its bad, just want some others too. :-) (And yes, if you're one of my friends who has left me in the past couple years, and think there's a guilt trip somewhere in there, there may be. :) )

So...wish me luck... and if you're a local reader and have questions about the CSC, direct them to Phil... :)

I'll try to periodically post an update on my sabbatical.. maybe that will keep me focused during that time...

2 comments:

missbuss said...

Are you ok with being friends with a 23 year old? Because you're welcome to fill up some sabbatical time with me:) I'll see you tonight to celebrate!

Gloria said...

Congrats on being able to take a sabbatical. Sometimes you know when it is time to refresh and decide if it is where you need to be and go back later better able to serve. Maybe God has somewhere else for you to serve for a while also. It is best not to stay too busy.