bkg

9.22.2008

Showing My Age...

Friday night I got together with some friends from church to celebrate the successful passing of a preliminary exam by one of our friends. One of the night's activities included playing Cranium. And one of the elements to the game are questions that are trivia based.

One of the questions for the other team involved identifying the director / writer of such classics as Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, etc. And much to my chagrin, they could not do it. I was horrified. How could they not know the director of such classics and coming of age stories? Oh right, I had at least a 10 year head start on most of the people there. :) And while I was living out the quintessential stories in these movies, these kids were just being born.

But I think I can bring it back around for them by detailing some of the OTHER movies that were credited to John Hughes also...

Have you heard of a little flick called National Lampoons Christmas Vacation???? Or how about that childhood fav- Home Alone? Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? Uncle Buck? Yep...all John Hughes... and not only did he write most of these, he directed and produced some of them too!

So that left me questioning who were the actors/actresses/ movies that were formative during their teen years? (Of course, this is an afterthought- I haven't asked this question- so its open for comment) It certainly wasn't the Brat Pack- and I know this, because the next question in the game was about the Brat Pack. :)

So here's to you Cranium game designers for saving the 80's!

2 comments:

missbuss said...

Although I would have to say that I’ve always had a taste for “the classics” such as Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Uncle Buck, etc etc, I will attempt to answer some of your questions using what little memory I have of the two teen beats I owned as a Tween/teen (and the handful of Seventeen’s from my highschool days). Let’s see…

Ahhh, JTT. And Andrew Keegan. Devon Sawa. Christina Ricci, LeeLee Sobieski, Melissa Joan Hart, Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillipi, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ashton Kutcher (now married to a member of the BRAT pack, might I add) Neve Campbell, the entire cast of Dawson’s Creek, Mandy Moore, Freddie Prince Jr, Rachel Leigh Cook, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, just to name a few.

Now as far as directors go, I’ve never really known any, so I can be of no help there.

Teen romance/comedy movies from my day include such greats as, She’s All That, Never Been Kissed, A Walk to Remember, Sweet Home Alabama, Cruel Intentions, Clueless, and The Scream trilogy (well, at least I thought they were funny.)

And the comedies: Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, Austin Powers, Liar Liar, The Ladies Man, The Waterboy, Billy Madison, Big Daddy, and Happy Gilmore.

Gloria said...

I'm not in that young bunch and I seen most of those movies, but I could not tell you who directed, wrote or produced or even acted in most of them. I just go and enjoy, I do not remember who did what with them. But you do not find me playing trivia games either. I leave that to my daughter and son-in-law.