bkg

6.26.2009

I'm a genius

So, last night I received a call from my dear friend Veronika! She was
calling to tell me that she is going to come for a visit while the Sipes come
visit! Yay! So excited!

Turns out I was in the middle of packing my carry-on bag when she called.
Even though it may be hard for those of you who have traveled with me to
believe, I actually try to consolidate my bags when I travel and only take
necessities- which often means a switching out of purses, etc.

Well, imagine my surprise when I arrived at the airport this morning and
started to do my pre-flight routine as I got out of my car in the long term
parking lot only to find that I didn't have my ID with me! I quickly
remembered what must have happened- while talking to veronika I started to
transfer my credit cards and ID's and got distracted because I decided to
throw a blank check in there too and went to get the check. And I assume my
drivers license and purdue Id are still sitting in my ID holder on my
kitchen table.

So- as I waited for my shuttle bus from the parking lot to the terminal, I
carefully considered my options. I am supposed to be in DC for a 3 pm
meeting. My flight was leaving in 90 mins. There's no way to make it home
and back and catch my flight or meeting! Trying not to panic. So I decide
I'll go ahead and go to the check-in area and see what they say I should do.

I looked for the nicest looking service rep and went up to her and admitted I
realized I didn't have my dr license and wondered what my options were. She
told me you can still travel, but TSA just screens you differently. Hmm-
differently- ok. Let's give it a go.

Of course the trip to DC would be the one where I forget something- I'm of
course thinking everyone is thinking I'm so sort of terrorist or something.
:)

Luckily I do have my social security card with me! And that seems to count
for something!

As for being screened 'differently' pretty much that means I got a personal
escort through security, a nice pat down, and a THOROUGH screening of all my
personal effects!

Now here's where the story has a happy turn- I'd been praying that God would
use me and work through me on this trip. So as the agent is going through (my
embarrassingly coordinated vera bradley) bags and accessories, he's
commenting on some of the book titles in the bag (mostly computer science
reading I'm supposed to do before sunday)! And as he's doing this, there's an
ever growing line of people behind me waiting for their bags. And then he
gets to my bible! And says "well this is a good book to have on a day like
today". "Yes, yes it is". So while it wasn't quite what I had in mind as a
way to witness to people, it was somehow a relief to my forgetfulness and an
answer to a prayer.

I'm sure this won't be the end of this story- not quite sure if I'll be able
to check into the hotel, and while the people in the indy airport have been
more than helpful, I'm not sure how this will work on the return flight- so
wish me luck and I'll keep you posted!

No comments: