bkg

11.12.2007

Technology Saturation?

Ok- so I've very seldom been accused of ever being "trendy." Well, all except when it comes to technology. But it's not my fault. :) I got a TRS-80 computer for Christmas when they first came out (for those of you not born until the 80's, the '80' in TRS-80 stands for the year it was first released :) ), I got a video camera with the pay for a summer job, I got a Sony Mavica when they were first out- you know, the ones that had the slot for the 3.5 floppy disk for participating in a teacher cadre, Purdue thrust a blackberry into my hands when I started my job here, I got a canon powershot camera for going to a conference, and I do now have a video ipod that I purchased for myself- mostly because it was such a good deal when they were getting ready to roll out the new ones, I couldn't NOT get it. :) And now, my cell phone has entered the world of cutting edge technology that is entering my hands.

You see, my current cell phone is...well let's just call it "problematic." I like my cell phone, it was relatively inexpensive. I remember when I got it 1 year and 8 months ago, asking the sales clerk why it was so much cheaper than the others but had all the great features- he said it was because sony ericsson was trying to break into the cell phone market. Ok- sounds good. Well... that phone still has great clarity for hearing people on the other end.. the problem is just that no one can hear me. :) The microphone has quit working, so I apologize for those of you who have received garbled messages from me- but I thank Decina for constantly calling back and letting me know she couldn't understand a word I was saying! Otherwise, I'd be none the wiser. :)

So, I stopped by the store the other day to see about getting a new phone. It turns out that my contract is not up for another 4 months- but I can renew now and just pay an $18 activation fee for a new phone. OK- sounds good. It's either that or no phone for 4 months. So, it's time to pick out a new phone. They no longer have the phone that I have- so I have to take a look to see what's available. And for many people- this would not be such a hard decision. But to me, a phone is more than just a phone, it's an extension of personality. It is an opportunity to be unique. So, I peruse the phones.. and decide upon this one:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10856

Little do I know it's been out for like a week. And i didn't choose it because it has a walkman built into it (although, i am excited about the FM tuner that's built in... ) I like the slide design... it's going to cost the same as many of the other slider phones, all the buttons work the same as my other other since they are both sony ericssons, and it's different.

But now I'm wondering... when will the technological advances stop? I mean, I was perfectly happy with my sony mavica until i got the power shot, and i was perfectly fine with the palm pilot until i got hte blackberry- I will now have an ipod and a walkman mp3 player in my phone.

I think I'm entering technology saturation. It has to end sometime. But it seems that this is just one of those things where I have good timing and fortunate circumstances. And I do enjoy it. But I think sometimes enough is enough. I'm thinking about challenging myself to a blackberry free week next week. Any thoughts? Perhaps this will help with my technology saturation- and give me time to figure out my new phone when it comes in since the store was out of them! :)

No comments: